- Industry body will promote standards and professionalism
Abu Dhabi – A new Middle East industry association for the investment management industry has been launched. The Middle East Investment Management Association (MEIMA) will serve as a representative body and think tank for a sector that is the cornerstone of the Middle East economy and will also be the first regional institution of its kind in the Middle East region. Middle East.
MEIMA will be a membership-based association with the mission to support, advocate and advance the growth and development of the asset management industry in the region.
The main objectives of the association are:
- To be the voice of the industry for all stakeholders who have an interest in improving MENA investment management of ADGM, DIFC, UAE onshore, GCC/MENA and non-UAE regulated asset managers.
- Engage with regulators to create a competitive and compliant regional asset management operating environment
- Helping international members establish their businesses in the region
- Create an inclusive environment where the broader ecosystem of asset owners, asset managers, service companies and others can come together to network, collaborate and learn from each other
- Ensure the highest levels of stewardship and governance
- Create an environment conducive to the development and integration of innovation into our business models.
- Help and support members to achieve the best results for their clients and grow their business.
- Drive an industry-leading people program to ensure the highest levels of professionalism and talent
Founding members of MEIMA include senior executives from AD Global Investors Limited, Apex Group, Azimut (ME) Ltd, Digital Spring Ventures LLP, AD Investment Management Limited, Freedom Asset Management Limited, Northern Trust Corporation and Aarna Capital Limited.
MEIMA is registered and established in Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), the international financial center of Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates.
David Rothon, Chairman of MEIMA and CEO of AD Global Investors Limited, said: “MEIMA was founded with the vision to create a greater investment market in the MENA region, improve liquidity, facilitate investment throughout the region and to bring industry professionals together. This association will become a focal point for the investment industry, promoting best practices, increasing levels of service and execution, and working together to improve the regional asset management environment.
Maroun Jalkh, Chairman of MEIMA’s Membership, Events and Communications Sub-Committee and CEO of Azimut (ME) Ltd, said: “Having spoken to so many investment management companies in the Middle East, it is clear that an organization like MEIMA is necessary. Membership is open not only to investment management firms but also to professional firms such as lawyers, investment industry advisors and wealth managers etc. Networking and better engagement with regulators are the top two reasons the companies we spoke to want to join MEIMA”
Regarding the incorporation of MEIMA, Dhaher Bin Dhaher, CEO of the ADGM Registration Authority, added: “We welcome MEIMA to the Abu Dhabi ecosystem and extend our congratulations to the association for its creation. ADGM is pleased to be the destination of choice and host jurisdiction for MEIMA, the first of its kind in the region.
Over the years, Abu Dhabi’s pioneering leadership, strong physical connectivity, strong business and financial ties and progressive regulations have successfully attracted many global investment firms, brought business and capital to meet and allowed investors to prosper.
As Abu Dhabi’s international financial center, ADGM is home to dynamic businesses with diverse fundraising needs and, as a leading center for investment risk management solutions, ADGM offers a strategic perspective to asset and fund managers looking for innovative solutions and business vehicles. to manage investments in the UAE and the wider region. We will continue to support MEIMA and its members in fulfilling their mission and together foster a more vibrant ecosystem for asset management, private equity and venture capital in the region.