Standard Bank has announced the appointment of Yewande Sadiku, former CEO of the Nigerian Investment Promotion Council (NIPC), as Head of International Investment Banking.
This was confirmed by a statement signed by Brian Marshall, Head, Investment Banking and Gert Vogel, Head International.
Sadiku’s appointment, which is to take effect from September 12, 2022, comes nearly four months after her appointment to the board of Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc as a non-executive director.
What you need to know about Yewande Sadiku
- Yewande Sadiku graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Chemistry in 1992 from the University of Benin, Edo State, Nigeria. In 1995, she obtained her Masters in Business Administration from the University of Warwick, UK.
- Her career started after being recruited directly from the university during the University of Benin Campus Recruitment and joined Nigeria International Bank Limited (now known as Citibank Nigeria) at entry level immediately after graduation. ‘school.
- In 1994, she moved to Investment Banking & Trust Company Limited (IBTC) also at entry level, and spent the next two decades of her career there as an investment banker.
- She rose through the ranks working with the bank until it became Stanbic IBTC Group, and she became Managing Director of Stanbic IBTC Capital, the group’s investment banking arm, in November 2012.
- She also served as Executive Director, Corporate and Investment Banking at Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc, a subsidiary of Standard Bank of South Africa, Africa’s largest bank before entering public service.
- She was instrumental in the development of the Nigerian capital market as she chaired the Rules and Compliance Sub-Committee of the SEC Capital Markets Committee for about 12 years.
- Her successful career in investment banking was a critical factor when President Muhammadu Buhari appointed her as Executive Secretary and Managing Director of Nigeria’s premier investment promotion agency, the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC). , in September 2016.
- Despite her excellent record, she was also the subject of controversy when she was asked by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to answer questions relating to allegations of abuse of power, fraud contract and unrecognized allowances.
- She was eventually exonerated and cleared of all charges. The statement released by the NIPC in reaction to the development revealed that the petitions against her had already been investigated by another anti-corruption agency and she had no cases to respond to.
- Sadiku was appointed in February 2022 to the Board of Directors of Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc.